- 100 Years
Fall 2016 marked a century of collegiate recreation at Oregon State University. As the third oldest intramural program in the nation, we proudly recognize a 100-year legacy of sport, leadership, and wellness.
Many caring people, strategic choices, and visionary investments have built the programming, services, and facilities that support the healthy campus we know today. We invite you to join the movement, in celebration of those students and other leaders who made it possible.
In our centennial celebration, we reflect on the defining moments of Oregon State University’s Department of Recreational Sports. It started in 1916 when Dr. A.D. Brown formalized the Intramural Athletic Program as part of the Division of Health and Physical Education.
Additional programming took shape in that Division, as well as Student Life and Athletics, before coming together under a common, campus recreation title and roof.
The 1971 acquisition of McAlexander Fieldhouse for campus recreation was quickly followed by the original construction of Dixon Recreation Center in 1974. A growing student population prompted facility expansions in 1992 and 2004.
Student Legacy Park opened in 2011 with a name that recognizes the vision and support of the student body, which made all construction possible.